Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Archive

As you search for information about studying in the United States, you can enter in the search box below some key words or a question you would like an answer to, or you can look in one of the nine categories of most frequently asked questions listed below. If you speak Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, French, Spanish, Russian or Portuguese, please select your language from the pull down box below, and you will see these topic areas change to the selected language.


Schools, colleges and universities in the U.S. commonly use letter grades to indicate the quality of a student's academic performance. Each letter grade has a numeric value which is used to establish a grade point or quality point average (GPA/QPA).

Each student completes his or her degree with a grade point average (GPA). A cumulative grade point average is the GPA for all courses taken throughout the degree program. Most colleges and universities use a GPA scale of 4.0. To work out your GPA, take the numerical value assigned to the letter grade you achieve for each course then multiply this number by the number of credits each course is worth. Finally, add these numbers together and divide by the total number of credits for all courses.

• 100-90 =A=4 (excellent)

• 89-80% =B=3 (good)

• 79-70% =C=2 (average)

• 69-60% =D=1 (below average)

• 59-50%=E or F (failing)

Work rated C or above is usually required of an undergraduate student to continue his or her studies. Grades of P (pass), S (satisfactory), and N (no credit) can also be used. In percentage scales, 100 percent is the highest mark, and 65-70 percent is usually the lowest passing mark. Your GPA may be interpreted differently by each college and university in the U.S. based on their review of your mark sheets/transcripts.

Can’t find your questions answered in these FAQs? Click on the Ask an Adviser button below to contact your local EducationUSA Advising Center.